Saturday 13 October 2012

Mooncakes

This year I decided to make mooncakes  again. Last year one are too sweet and pale in Icolor because the golden syrup I cooked is not brown enough. This year I used ready made one which I bought from the shop. So last month, I decided to make some.

Lotus Paste Mooncake

I didn't brush them with egg wash, so it's not glossy


Ingredients
600g flour
600g syrup (I bought from the shop)
140g groundnut oil
1 tsp alkaline water
Lotus paste ( I bought from the shop)

Method
Mix flour, syrup, oil and alkaline water and knead until elastic. Set aside for 3 hours, Divide the dough into 15 equal portions ( I only made 12 mooncakes, the leftover dough, I used to made figurine mooncake biscuits).

The final step
Take a portion of the dough and roll into a thin circular piece. Take a 150g ball of lotus paste and wrap with the mooncake skin.

Dust a mooncake mould with flour. Press the dough with filling into mould. Tap lightly to demould.


This is the mooncake

And this is the figurine mooncake

Grease baking tray and bake mooncake in oven at 220C for about 20 to 30 minutes.

For a glossy sheen, bake the mooncakes for about 10 minutes, then brush them with egg wash and continue to bake until golden brown.


I got this recipe many many years ago from The Star newspaper but never try it until last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.