Wednesday 21 November 2012

Marble Green Bean Kuih

The other day, I went to buy breakfast at the road side. It's a lady selling kuih. I bought some chai kuih, cream puff and curry puff. As I was paying, I saw a lady pick up what looks like a hoon kuih. Since I'm late for work, I quickly take my things and left. Since then, I've been thinking of hoon kuih. So I decided to make hoon kuih myself.

I've never made hoon kuih before. But I remember that I have a hoon kuih recipe from the newspaper cutting years ago. So again, I have to search for the recipe but it's easy to find as I have filed it up.



Wan Sek Fah Mun Koe
(Marble Green Bean Kuih)

Ingredients
For the syrup:
400ml water
350g castor sugar
3 pandan leaves - knot

125g green bean flour (lek tau hoon of lok tau fun)
200ml water

1 ltr water
Tinge of yellow colouring
Tinge of green colouring

Method :
To make the syrup : Boil water with pandan leaves. Add sugar to dissolve. Set aside. ( I omitted this step as I cooked the sugar together with the 1 ltr of water)

Combine green bean flour with water and mix well. Leave aside for 10 minutes, Strain to remove impurities.

Boil litre of water. Add boiled syrup and simmer until water comes to a gentle boil. Pour in green bean flour mixture and stir briskly until mixture turns thick and is crystal clear.

Place two ladles of cooked mixture into two separate bowls. Add different colours to each portion. Leave the remaining mixture plain.

Pour two small ladles of plain mixture into a wet tin (22cm X 15cm). Add a coloured portion followed by a ladle of plain mixture. Mix im another coloured portion and top up with the rest of the mixture.

Use a chopstick to swirl the mixture to create a marble effect. Leave aside to set. Chill well in the refrigerator then cut into diamond shapes.

#Note : You can opt to use only one colouring for the kuih.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.